Hampton College Receives $1 Million Grant from the New York Life Basis to Assist Various STEM-Targeted Students
Written by Hampton College Newsroom
Hampton College introduced at this time that the New York Life Basis, the charitable arm of New York Life, has contributed $1 million to the establishment for the institution of six separate funds, with the main focus of serving to various STEM-focused students succeed and develop of their educational careers. Award disbursals will start in spring 2022 for the autumn educational college yr.
“We’re grateful for the New York Life Basis’s dedication to Hampton College and its college students,” mentioned Dr. William R. Harvey, Hampton College President. “By investing so broadly in Hampton, the New York Life Basis is setting itself aside as a supporter of various college students and creating alternatives for the expansion and growth of a various new era of students.”
“This funding in Hampton College illuminates a transparent dedication that we each share in serving to college students to beat obstacles which will stop them from pursuing educational achievement on the whole and particularly with a STEM-focused profession observe. Our intention with this funding is to create brighter futures for these college students and for generations to come back,” mentioned Heather Nesle, President of the New York Life Basis. “This can be a partnership that aligns with our philanthropic and social justice objectives and we look ahead to working with the Hampton school, college students, and alumni over the following two years.”
The funds created by way of this present embody:
- Pupil Bereavement Fund: This fund offers monetary help for college students who’ve misplaced family members and offers funding for the numerous wants which will current themselves in such conditions.
- Alumni Engagement Fund: This fund helps associate programming executed all through the nation at Nationwide Hampton Alumni Affiliation, Inc. hubs.
- Profession Companies Engagement Fund: This fund helps the association of specialised and focused pupil engagement packages and actions, together with info-sessions, profession truthful engagement, and resume-building workshops.
- Senior Hole Funding Scholarships: This fund is particularly for graduating seniors learning in STEM areas who’ve gaps of their accounts that stop them from graduating. The New York Life Basis doesn’t need “cash” to be the explanation a pupil doesn’t graduate.
- Sixteen-$20,000 Scholarships: This fund helps educational scholarships for sixteen (16) college students who, as soon as chosen, every will obtain a “renewable” $20,000 award for 2 years at Hampton.
- “Full-Journey” Educational Scholarships with Internships: This fund helps two (2) college students learning in STEM-related areas. Every will obtain a $40,000 scholarship to Hampton. Chosen college students additionally might be advisable as interns in New York Life’s coveted summer time internship program.
“We’re thrilled with the New York Life Basis’s generosity and help of Hampton,” mentioned Dr. Joyce Shirazi, Dean of the Hampton College College of Engineering and Know-how. “We all know that they’re particularly involved in pc engineering, pc science, and actuarial science majors, however they’ve broadened their lens to acknowledge that Hampton has a singular expertise pool of wonderful pupil students from throughout the campus. We imagine this may certainly be an enduring partnership.”
There are standards for the tutorial scholarships obtainable for college students competing for the awards. Pupil candidates should:
- Attend Hampton full time
- Have a minimal 2.75 GPA to be thought-about
- Main in a science, expertise, math, or different STEM-related educational areas
- Display a monetary want, as decided by the Hampton College Workplace of Monetary Assist and Scholarships
The Workplace of Monetary Assist and Scholarships will oversee the collection of students based mostly on the standards recognized, in coordination with the College of Engineering and Know-how, the Workplace of Admissions, and different campus companions.